How to clean a dishwasher? Sometimes we wonder if the dishwasher is supposed to be cleaned or not. Below, we review the reasons for cleaning your dishwasher and the best methods, according to the Good Housekeeping Institute, an expert in-home care.
How to clean a dishwasher?
Before we explain: how to clean a dishwasher? It is worth noting to explain why the dishwasher should be cleaned, and how often it should be washed.
Do dishwashers need to be cleaned?
Helps keep it clean and odor-free, and the build-up of food residue, grease, undissolved detergent, and water minerals on the filter and inner walls can damage the filter and washer pump and clog the spray arms, necessitating expensive repairs. In addition, it may leave stains on the utensils.
What is the best way to clean and deodorize a dishwasher? How do I clean my dishwasher naturally?
How often should you clean your dishwasher?
The number of times you clean your dishwasher depends on the number of times you use it, and here is how to clean it depending on its operation per day, week, or month, whether you need a quick or thorough cleaning.
- Daily: Remove visible food residue from the filter and bottom.
- Weekly: Wipe the edges of the door, remove the filter, and then clean it.
- Monthly: Deep cleaning the inside of the washing machine through a cleaning cycle.
- As necessary: wipe the outside, edges, and inside.
How to remove leftovers daily
The accumulated food residue is the cause of the odor problems as it turns the washing machine into a garbage machine, so it must be cleaned after every wash cycle.
The remains of food are removed by following these steps:
- Pull out the lower rack.
- Then check the screen filter or heating element for any food residue.
- Then, remove the residue using a paper towel.
It is recommended to wipe off excess food residue from dishes, silverware, and bowls before you put them in the washing machine. And if you don’t want to run a direct cycle, give it a quick rinse in the sink or run a rinse-only cycle to prevent odors. It is also recommended to remove any labels from the jars, as pieces of paper may clog the filter.
Clean the door grime
You can clean the door by following these steps:
- Wipe away greasy stains and residue that may be present on the surface, edges, interior door bottom, washing machine bottom, or handle, using a dampened microfiber cloth or sponge.
- Then, scrub any sticky substance around the door with a toothbrush placed in warm water or detergent.
- Dispensers should also be cleaned with a damp cloth or paper towel to kill any stuck-on or undissolved detergent.
How to clean a dishwasher filter?
Pull out the bottom rack so you can access the filter, or see the owner’s manual or the company’s website to know more details on finding the filter. The filter is cleaned with the following steps:
- Open the filter and place it under running hot water.
- Scour the screen mesh to remove the particles stuck in the cracks, then wash it.
- Close the filter and put it back in properly, so that it does not cause any damage.
It is essential to remove any particles, detergent residue, or minerals that have accumulated or are hiding inside the machine or the spray arms.
How to deep clean dishwasher
Dishwasher detergents can be used, including Good housekeeping star cascade, because it contains surfactants, and cleans up grease and leftover food once it’s melted. You can use it according to the attached instructions.
But how to clean a dishwasher that hasn’t been used in a while? How do I clean the bacteria out of my dishwasher?
You can clean your washing machine of bacteria that you haven’t cleaned in a long time using vinegar.
How to clean a dishwasher with vinegar and baking soda?
If you want to follow the DIY method to clean up the accumulated food residue, use vinegar should the dishwasher is empty.
Does vinegar ruin a dishwasher? Where do you put baking soda in a dishwasher to clean it?
How to clean a dishwasher with vinegar?
The dishwasher can be cleaned with vinegar by following these steps:
- Fill a safety bowl with one cup of distilled white vinegar, and place it on the upper tablet.
- After that run the dishwasher with a hot cycle without any cleaning agents or containers.
For extra freshness, clean your washing machine with baking soda after you clean it with vinegar.
How to clean a dishwasher with baking soda?
- After you run the vinegar cycle, fill one cup of baking soda and place it in the empty washer bottom.
- Then run the washing machine on a quick cycle.
How to polish the exterior as needed?
Fingerprints can make the outside of anything look dull and dirty, especially stainless steel.
Some washing machine models come with fingerprint resistance, but that does not apply to all. Therefore, stainless steel cleaners are recommended, including GH Seal Star Weiman.
It shines the surface free of streaks and makes it protective, as it contains ingredients that help repel dirt and stains later.
It is advised not to use abrasive cleaners that may scratch the surface, and to clean it with metal grains to prevent streaks.
Is bleach or vinegar better for a dishwasher?
Vinegar is better than bleach. It is advised not to use any bleach or detergent that contains bleach, especially if the washing machine is made of stainless steel. It is also advised not to confuse vinegar with bleach, as this may result in deadly chlorine gas.
how to clean a dishwasher with bleach?
Fill a safety bowl with 1 distilled cup of bleach and place it on the top rack, running a full cycle, but skipping the drying cycle.
In conclusion, the answer to the question How to clean a dishwasher? Clean it regularly after every wash.